Wednesday, March 7, 2007

England and Ireland and India (and, er, Mexico) Night

By the way, those of you trying to follow a narrative (ha!) in this blog might be wondering, "Didn't Jeremiah's Aunt say she was gonna go on a trip this past weekend? Is she ever going to tell us about it?"
The answer is yes, I did go on a trip, and yes, I will tell you about it right now--I had a lovely time. We did not talk about U2 exclusively for four hours, but I think we could have talked about U2 far longer than we did. This is what happens when uberfans get together. I've missed having those kind of conversations. The trip was a pause that refreshed, as the saying goes.
Then on Sunday night J. and M. and I were sitting around at the J.F.C.C.C.House. I don't recall how the subject came up, but we all started reminisicing about England. (We've all been to England, all at different times and all before we knew each other.) Actually it was part reminiscence, part one-upsmanship. "I've been to Stratford-upon-Avon," J. would say. "So have I," I would say. "I've been to the reconstructed Globe Theatre," J. would say. "So have I," I would say. "I performed in a show on stage at the Globe," J. would say. "I wrote a new play in blank verse which had its debut at the Globe," I would say.
All right, it wasn't quite that bad. But you get the idea. And the end result is that it had us pining for all things English.
Next thing you know we were calling shotgun for a trip down to Jungle Jim's in the J.-mobile. Jungle Jim's is this foodie paradise, just the most astonishing array of food imaginable. It's huge--we went through what felt like acres and acres to get to the stuff we were looking for. We started off in the cheese section where we picked up some Wensleydale--not that we knew anything about Wensleydale, we had just heard about it through Wallace and Gromit, and in fact they package Wensleydale now with a pic of Wallace and Gromit on it; somebody give that marketing guy a raise--and Blue Stilton--again, not what we knew anything about it, it just said "The King of Cheeses" on the label, and who were we to argue with a cheese?
Then we trekked the half-mile or so to the International section. M. stuck to the India aisle where she sought to reclaim the tastes she remembered from her two years there (in India, I mean. She didn't spend two years in the India aisle). J. and I stayed in the British aisle (hee!) with its Wheetabix and Marmite and Marmart. This last was Marmite--yeast extract--you could draw pictures with.
We brought home for our spur-of-the-moment English party scone-with-blackcurrants mix, clotted cream, salt-and-vinegar crisps, chocolate digestive biscuits, Hob Nobs, the cheeses, crackers and apples. I looked in vain for Orangina; I went to the Mexican section instead and picked out a pineapple soda. We picked up "Waking Ned Devine" from the video store and stayed up way past my bedtime watching the Isle of Man play stunt double for Ireland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What? No Theakston's Old Peculiar?!

Angela said...

But of course, longo. You know my current addy, right? I'm not sure I know yours--though if I just throw a paper airplane in a northwesterly direction perhaps I'd hit it...