Tuesday, February 23, 2010

JCS on BBC Radio 2, from 1996

Four words: Roger Daltrey as Judas.
No, really.
And could be one of the best Judases ever. (What's plural for "Judas"? Judai?)
For the first time I was looking forward to hearing how they were going to do Judas' death. (That sounds wrong, but less wrong than my original formulation--"I was looking forward to hearing Judas die." There's a lot of heavy subtext in JCS, you know. Makes it hard for an audience to know how to acknowledge a good performance. "This Jesus must, Jesus must, Jesus must DIE," the Sanhedrin proclaim, and the audience goes )
Judas here is way better, more passionate, more believable, than Jesus (Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet!). I mean, if your dream casting of Jesus is someone whose voice drops into a sexy whisper like George Michael's on occasion, you'll get what you're looking for, but I just didn't quite buy it. No, this was Judas Superstar for me.
Speaking of dream casting, did anyone else ever try to put together the ideal fantasy cast? Mine of course features David Bowie as Pontius Pilate; after that, the field's wide open. Sinead O'Connor is a contender for Mary Magdalene, though as I've said earlier, her actual take on "I Don't Know How To Love Him" fell a little short of the mark. I want Bono to be either Judas or Jesus, but can't decide which.

1 comment:

Beth said...

This sounds amazing. Judas is by far the most interesting character in the show, I think. That opening "Heaven on their minds"....

As for Bono - yeah, cause he can't decide either. (But I think in the long run we have to go with Judas, because singing from that place has drawn some of his most gripping work out of him, IMHO. Tho perhaps he couldn't muster it as well now.)