Saturday, February 20, 2010

Jesus Christ Superstar: A 21st Century Tribute to the Brown Album, Ultrasonic Rock Orchestra

"This I think you will enjoy," Greg said to me. "Or you'll never wanna listen to it again. I figure a 50/50 shot here."
It's not bad. Not at all what I expected; nothing particularly 21st century about it--Ultrasonic Rock Orchestra stays quite faithful to the original for the most part. A chick sings Simon Zealotes' part, but heck, I've got a version where one of the Indigo Girls plays Jesus, so there. But altogether it's cool. Very fun version of "King's Herod's Song" with some girl group doo-wop thrown into the background. Different read on Mary Magdalene--during "Everything's All Right" she doesn't get swallowed up by the rising shouts of "EVERYTHING'S ALL RIGHT, YES!" that belie that line--instead she commands the chorus, so for the first time she "wins" in that song. She doesn't seem all that tortured for "I Don't Know How To Love Him," either. It's making me think of how my friend Ali reacted when she heard Sinead O'Connor sing her version of that torch classic--"I don't believe her. I think she does know."
And, in case you were wondering, yes, now that we are on day 4 of full immersion JCS Lentarama, the songs are on constant repeat in my head all day now. They are crazy catchy.

No comments: