Thursday, February 1, 2007

Accordion Caterpillar Pencils And More

One of our regulars came into the office today, as he generally does several times a day. This morning he sang a song to my co-worker Val and me--it was a blues song, made up on the spot, featuring air guitar, about not wanting to go to jail. But then he got to a part he said would give him nightmares, so he had to stop and walk out.
I had to go to a meeting this afternoon. As I left, the Guy Who Laughs At Shoes was sitting by the front door, and sure enough, he laughed at my shoes. "I know, I know," I said, and he gave me a high five.
Yesterday the Wednesday Craft Lady came to work in the Kids Cafe. She brought in a caterpillar pencil for me--that afternoon's craft. You take a line of circles on card stock like this, except that all the circles are connected:
OOOOO
and you punch a hole the thickness of a pencil in the center of each circle. You put "antenna" on one end and draw a caterpillar face on that circle. Then you color the rest of the line, fold it accordion-style, and stick a pencil through so the eraser becomes the nose of the caterpillar.
We took a quick field trip at break time this afternoon to Findlay Market next door. St. Mary Beth got Coco a ham bone from Kroeger (famous for their sausage), and a peach cobbler at Aunt Flora's (featured on Martha Stewart).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so why are your shoes funny?

Angela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela said...

'Cause to the Guy Who Laughs At Shoes, all shoes are funny.

Beth said...

I want to have more people like The Guy Who Laughs At Shoes in my life.