Friday, February 9, 2007

I'm Gonna Bet You...

Finished my Christology paper with about a half hour to go before class. Writing it became much easier when I remembered I'm taking these classes for fun. One of the side benefits of taking classes for fun is that you can end a paper for a Christology class with a quote like this, which I found on the blog meam commemorationem:
"Of necessity, theological language teeters permanently on the brink of nonsense."
Today at work this fella with an incredible mane of hair and only two front teeth came into the office looking for info on soup kitchens and shelters in the area. As I was printing out the info he wanted, he asked us office denizens, "Do you like mysteries?"
"Depends on the mystery," I said.
"What month were you born in?"
"August," I said.
"So you're a Leo? Okay, here's what I'm gonna do for you" --and he smiled to show off his missing teeth. "I'm going to bet you one dollar that I can describe you exactly right." He made the same offer to V., one of my co-workers. We both declined, but he proceeded to give me an analysis of my personality anyhow. The only thing I remember now was something like "Leos only get in trouble over love affairs."
"Is that so?" I said.
He smiled again and chuckled. "You tell me!"
The staff and kitchen workers had their "Christmas party" today (we've been busy, all right?). There were, I think, thirteen of us that went out to a buffet for lunch. Some betting was going on there, too--one of our guys bet another fifty pushups he wouldn't finish everything on his plate. But when the plate was well and truly cleared off, the one who owed the pushups wouldn't do them. He said he'd eaten so much, his stomach would hit the floor first, and then he'd just bounce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. your paper ending is borderline blasphemous;
2. are you getting into a dangerous love affair???;
3. i think you're hot for incredible-mane-man. i could feel the intensity in your words.

Beth said...

Well, I don't care so very much for the quote either. However, if I were going to steal a quote, I too might choose to steal it from the blog of an Anglican researcher of Lancelot Andrewes' sacramental theology serving in NT Wright's diocese.

Angela said...

I also included the quote from Cardinal Newman, "We are analyzing when we should be adoring!"--if that helps.

Anonymous said...

"we are analyzing when we should be adoring!" i like that quote. i catch myself doing that all the time! :(