Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Snow Day

I don't remember "clearing the snow off someone else's car" being on any list of corporal works of mercy, but it sure should be. Thanks again, Steve.
We got a lot of snow yesterday. It started falling thick and fast around one in the afternoon, at which point Mary Beth told us office denizens to go home. That's exactly how she said it, too: "Go home." Up until then I'd been engaged in what one of my old bosses at P&G calls a "project of guaranteed success." I was making copies for a mailing that'll be going out. It was a project of guaranteed success because the goal was to take one piece of paper and turn it into 3276 pieces of paper. You can really feel like you've accomplished something when you're surrounded by boxes and boxes of paper at the end of the day.
Even though I got to go home early, Our Daily Bread stayed open late again. Another soup kitchen opens its doors today at 4:30, so at least our folks will have some place to go.
When I got home yesterday afternoon I took a nap and then worked on the project whose success is not guaranteed--a paper for my Christology class. I have used every possible means of avoiding work on this paper, including writing a paper for my Church History class. But that happy period of procrastination could not last forever. Luckily existentialist mentor* gave me some information for the paper that I think will prove useful.
I didn't go in to work right away because traffic.com showed a "Jam Factor" of 8.2 or above (on a scale of 0 to 10) on any roads I could take. I waited until the Jam Factor was down around 7 and then ventured out. Driving would have been much easier had my windshield wipers worked properly. But I made it.

*Footnote: I was assigned a mentor for the program I'm in at school. At our first meeting we talked about our backgrounds, and she mentioned she majored in philosophy during the sixties. I asked her what her specialty was, and she answered casually, "Existentialism." She's not actually an existentialist. I just call her my existentialist mentor because it's fun to say, and one should never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did the Christology paper turn out?

Angela said...

I'll let you know once I finish writing it...!