Tuesday, February 13, 2007

If You Use Foul Language, You Will Be Asked To Leave!

There's a woman who comes in all the time who usually sits at a table and gripes. She's not talking to anyone in particular, at least no one I can see. I can't tell what she says, it sounds like
"mutter mutter &#@@!$ grumble mutter #$%@ murmur @#$%ing @#$%#@% mutter mutter..."
We have signs posted about foul language, but I don't think this lady can really help herself. St. Mary Beth will get up when the volume of the muttering starts to rise, she'll stand in the doorway with her finger to her lips, and that'll take care of it for ten minutes or so.
Mary Beth got talking about the Pink Panther last week, so M. and I rented it on Friday. I'd never seen the original before, but M. says at her house they watched it all the time. Good ol' David Niven's in it, which made me think that I should rent Prisoner of Zenda and make M. watch that. One of the joys of communal living--cultural exchanges.
Saturday night we rented Catch-22, something else I've never seen (though I read, and loved, the book--as much as you can say you "love" anything with so much insanity in it). That movie will never seem out of date, unfortunately.
Sunday I introduced Our Glorious Leader* to his first full-length U2 concert video: ZooTV Live in Sydney. He was a little disturbed by The Edge's bedazzled jeans, I think, but otherwise he enjoyed it. He encouraged me to comment on anything I wanted to in the course of watching it--a dangerous thing to say to someone with as much love of U2 minutiae as I have.
Speaking of U2...In Christology we've been talking about the Redemption, Christ's ontological personhood and the Trinitarian communion. All of these things make my head spin in class. I'll tell you what, though--after one of these sessions I listened to a U2 bootleg on my drive home. Nothing makes the Vertigo sequence of Miss Sarajevo--Pride--Where The Streets Have No Name sound better than having it follow a discussion of the Redemption, Christ's ontological personhood and the Trinitarian communion. I said to myself, "Oh! That's why it's so difficult to put this stuff in words!"
*Our Glorious Leader is what I call the guy who owns the house I'm staying in, to give people who are freaked out about my living in a JesusFreakCrazyCommuneCult House something more to freak out about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can certainly attest to the unique experience of sitting through a taped U2 concert with miss angela. i bet such quality time would be exponentially enhanced with a large imo's mushroom & olive pizza.

Anonymous said...

Resistance to watchin anything U2 with The Ange is futile....

MWA-HA-HA !!!

Love ya,
The BoNo FReaK : -p...