Monday, March 29, 2010

Holy Week!

We are on the last week of Jesus Christ Superstar!
So, first up--the original Australian cast from 1972. Good Pilate in this one, and the Judas is willing to go off the beaten path of notes more often than some. Very effective use of a children's chorus singing "Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ/Who are you, what have you sacrificed?"--especially because gradually a women's chorus picks up the chant. Jesus tends to indicate Drama by singing...at...half...speed.
I'm going to do some summing-up on my Lenten experience this week. First, let's take a look at how the decades are represented. Now, this isn't the full list--Greg still has a couple recordings to send me, but of the thirty-eight I have (yes, he did find a replacement for the duplicate), by far the most come from the 1970s--eighteen in all. And of those, none are from later than, I think, 1975; they cluster mostly around 1972. The next most-represented decade is the 2000s: thirteen recordings there. I also have seven recordings from the '90s, and none--NONE--from the '80s (unless, as I said, the recordings I have not gotten yet are from that benighted decade).
I would say that the largest stylistic variation are in the 70s recordings--what with Moog Superstar and The Soul of Jesus Christ Superstar and the two--count'em two--easy-listening offerings. The 2000s had Surferstar and what was billed by the Ultrasonic Rock Orchestra as a "21st century tribute," but even these were pretty faithful to the original, whereas Soul and Moog just spun off into the ether.

No comments: