Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sing Along With Judas

Today's Jesus Christ Superstar was from 1971. "Music from the Rock Opera Played by The Living Strings and Living Voices."
Quoth the Greg Matzker: "All I am going to say is, don't hate me for this one."
If earlier this week we had elevator music JCS, today we had glee club JCS. The Living Strings, Google informs me, were the creation of RCA Records when mood music had its heyday. All right--do you remember the pilot of WKRP in Cincinnati, where DJ Johnny Fever (who wasn't Johnny Fever yet, but that's another story) played The Hallelujah Tabernacle Choir's rendition of "You're Having My Baby?" Think of that, and you get a sense of what this was like. WIth very precise, clean harmonies surrounded by swelling strings from some unbilled European orchestra, male voices and female voices trade off on lines like "Nazareth, your famous son/should have stayed a great unknown/Like his father carving wood, he'd have made good."
The name should have been a tipoff. Hey, at least it wasn't Living Marimbas--another actual part of the Living Strings cohort. But "Living Voices"? As opposed to "Dead Voices," I suppose, which are nototoriously hard to record?
Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but as I listened I started finding it emotionally affecting in spite of, or perhaps because of, the off-the-charts kitsch. More to come when I am more awake...

No comments: