Saturday, March 6, 2010

Jesucristo Superestrella, 2001

So the Jesus Christ Superstar du jour is another Mexican cast recording, this one from 2001. This one came with a libretto, so I could, employing my scanty Spanish knowledge and handy-dandy Google Translate, see some of the translation choices--in Judas' first song, for instance, it is Eden, not heaven, that is on their minds. And "What's the buzz/tell me what's happening?" is rendered "¿Dime que significa esta rumor?" or (roughly) "Tell me, what is this rumor?"
(Ooh! I should use Google Translate on the other phrases I was curious about. Let's see..."Allting är okej nu" is indeed Swedish for "Everything is okay now," and the same song title in Czech turns into "Everything is as it should be" when it's re-Englished. While "Proc ten shon?," the Czech title for "What's the Buzz?" becomes "Why the rush?" Huh.)
Today's experiment in JCS-suitable activities was studying for an exam. It worked out well, I think. In fact I was at first planning to just kinda sit around doing nothin' while listening, and something made me decide to get online and look up practice tests, so it was quite the positive motivator. Time to draft the research paper: "JCS and Behavior Modification."
(And how was this version? Good. No complaints, but no surprises either. Greg promises the really far-out versions are coming in the second half of Lent. Speaking of, happy day before Laetare Sunday, everyone.)
[Update: Oops, I counted wrong. We don't reach the halfway point of Lent until next week!]

No comments: