Thursday, March 11, 2010

The man behind it all: Greg Matzker (Part II)

This is the second part of an email interview with the one responsible for finding forty different versions of Jesus Christ Superstar for me to contemplate this Lent. (Part I was yesterday.)


What are the qualities you personally look for in your "ideal" Judas, Jesus, Herod, Pilate, Mary Magdalene?


My ideal Judas--anger. When the show starts he is already not in a good place. I think of this character as Sweeney Todd. The madness is already there but let's not go too over the top too soon; we have to wait for the right moment in the show or soon you just don't care.
Jesus is interesting. Its not his story--not really, anyway. Its Judas's story. Most of the times I have seen the show they try to bring this character to the front and he shouldn't be. In almost every scene he is the secondary character. He needs to have this sense of loss, that he really doesn't know what his next move should be. But when he gets (lets say excited) the notes he sings should be done with conviction but almost never NEVER yelled.
Herod--camp all the way, only because it is the comic relief in the show that very much needs to happen at that point. The audience needs that break. I have seen it played gay, as a lounge singer (why not a gay lounge singer?) and I have even seen it done straight forward [which] honestly made me lose interest in the rest of the show; it made it seem like the show was going on WAY TOO LONG.
Pilate--what a mixed bag this is. In too many productions I have seen this almost as a throw away part becasue he is not on stage all that much. You need an actor here. This person needs to run the gamut when it comes to emotions, a lot of times all within the same song. This man is way too scared to do the wrong thing.
Mary Magdalene--someday I will find a recording of Janis Joplin singing ANYTHING from this part. This part really is the mother hen. Let's face it: it is the only real female part in the show. Whoever does this part needs to be able to hold her own, make her presence known each and every moment she is on stage even when she is not singing or part of the scene. Think of mothers. They are controlling but forgiving, loving but knowing when it is time to let you be you.


Are you ever going to cast me as Pontius Pilate?


After listening to the recordings I have this to say: you will have to fight me for it. BRING IT ON. I would love to do the part and give you front row seats. I think I am ready, old enough and think I would do you so very proud.

No comments: