Monday, March 15, 2010

The Moog and the Dutch and some folks speaking Spanish on one of two continents

Playing a bit of catchup with the Jesus Christ Superstar versions I neglected to comment on last week.
1974's Moog Superstar reminded me of the lounge music revival of the early 90s, which means I was picturing JCS playing breezily in the background as hipsters drank martinis. What can I say about it...? Not a lot of vocals, a whole lotta Moog. Moog trying to be harpsichord, Moog trying to be out on some astral plane or another. Oh, and "I Don't Know How to Love Him" featured a female vocalist reciting the words as poetry. Before this, I thought that William Shatner's pop music/beat poetry delivery was something unique; maybe she was performing a homage to the Rocket Man?
Dutch 2005 came next. This seemed like a fairly standard version...until, again, "I Don't Know How To Love Him." Do you know the number one surefire way of impressing me? Going a cappella. And that's what the Dutch did! I suspect actually that the "backup band" here was a pre-existing a cappella ensemble, both because of the precision and innovation of the harmonies and because the Netherlands have a thriving a cappella scene.
I can't imagine why I haven't heard this attempted before--going instrumentless added to the intimacy of Mary Magdalene's confession here.
The other great innovation in this production was another Magdalene-moment--in the midst of the "39 Lashes," we start to hear Mary screaming, and then everything fades out but her solo rendition of "Could We Start Again Please?" It was a fantastic stopped-time setup. When it ended with her going back into hysterics as the countdown resumed, it was a devastating moment.
I'm listening now to either a 2004 Spanish cast recording or a 2001 Mexican one. (It came with two labels.) This one features a heavy reliance on dance-music beats--haven't heard any full-on remixes yet, thankfully, but the night is young.
Gonna obey the letter of the law if not the spirit tonight, and gonna keep this on as I head to bed...I will report on what effect this might have on my dreams.

No comments: